Problem when installing glibc-2.2.5
Tofu
2002-03-23 14:07:24 UTC
Hi everybody,

I'm installing lfs-package-3.2 for the first time, by applying the Book
strictly.

All steps looked OK untill the installation of Glibc-2.2.5. The
following error occured during its "configure" phase, stopping it :

checking for assembler global-symbol directive... UNKNOWN
configure: error: cannot determine asm global directive

which is written by line 2590 of configure, containing an "exit".

To understand the cause, I modified line 2580 so that it writes its
compilation messages, and got the following :

gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory

three times, for the three values .globl, .global and .EXPORT of the loop.

I also tried to skip the problem by suppressing the "exit" in line 2590
: Then the "configure" script came to the end and the "make" phase was
entered, but the following error occured and stopped it :

make[2]: *** [/usr/src/lfs-packages-3.2/glibc-build/csu/init-first.o]
Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/lfs-packages-3.2/glibc-2.2.5/csu'
make[1]: *** [csu/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/lfs-packages-3.2/glibc-2.2.5'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Can somebody help me ? I don't know what else to try ...

Many thanks in advance.

Tofu
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org
Jeroen Coumans
2002-03-23 18:06:01 UTC
Post by Tofu
checking for assembler global-symbol directive... UNKNOWN
configure: error: cannot determine asm global directive
You may want to check your binutils installation. Probably they're not
installed statically. Make sure you don't make any typo's when
compiling. A frequent error is forgetting the "-" right after "=" in
this command:

make LDFLAGS=-all-static tooldir=$LFS/usr
--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org
Tofu
2002-03-23 22:08:40 UTC
Many thanks to Jeroen Coumans and Don Smith :

Re-installing binutils actually solved my problem with glibc !

Tofu
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org
Don Smith
2002-03-23 18:16:51 UTC
Post by Tofu
Hi everybody,
I'm installing lfs-package-3.2 for the first time, by applying the Book
strictly.
All steps looked OK untill the installation of Glibc-2.2.5. The
checking for assembler global-symbol directive... UNKNOWN
configure: error: cannot determine asm global directive
which is written by line 2590 of configure, containing an "exit".
To understand the cause, I modified line 2580 so that it writes its
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
Apparently something went wrong while installing binutils in chapter 5
(or /bin is not in your PATH !?). Go back to that section in chapter 5
and reinstall.

Don
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org